Those Random Talks

As a kid when I used to read about the Great Barrier Reef I thought of it as this gorgeous place in some corner of the world I'd never visit. So when Angie texted me one random March night asking me to join her on the trip - I responded without any hesitation. Obviously the focus on the reef was the main item on my itinerary and I barely gave thought to the other attractions listed on the tour. Little did I realise that the rainforests of Cairns would blow me away.

The vastness of the tropical forest land was gorgeous. And then there was the green. Oh yes, the more than hundred shades of different green in these rainforests was definitely something. The uniqueness of each plant, each tree. The characteristics of the different fauna and then of course there is the wildlife. Each bird, animal and fish so intricately created. The bird that left me mind blown had to be the "Cassowary" which is from Papa New Guinea (East of North Queensland, Australia) and survives in these tropical rainforests. The beauty in their electric blue features can be deceiving as they are vicious birds that can lead to death with one slit from their claw.


So on one of these scenic drives through the coast I happen to get in conversation with a young American tourist. We spoke about the Cassowaries, snorkelling, career paths, Marvel movies, the tragic loss of Christina Grimmie's life and then got to the point where I asked about her faith. Before she said she didn't believe in God she did mention a Christian background but not that she believes anything. The Bible was just another story to her. A big bang in the universe made more sense.

I looked out the window and then started off with why I believe in God. Those trees, the ocean, the sea creatures and wildlife, the sunset etc. is more than enough reason to tell me that God created it all. For it all to have been brought to life from an explosion doesn't make sense to me. The art in how each of us is designed is beyond my thoughts and I honestly can't comprehend it all. I believe in the word of God and creation is proof enough.

I would never force my beliefs on another but as I got back to my hotel room that night I felt a sense of satisfaction. I felt a spark ignited. A spark that got her wondering about the bigger force out there. About the creator and designer of the universe and about her purpose here on earth. Here was a girl whose face lit up after our conversation that day. Maybe she was lonely, or she missed her siblings on holiday or she needed someone to talk to or just needed that spark to be lit. A spark to light her thoughts. To inspire life.

Whatever the case, I was glad that our random conversation is where the light shines through in moments like this.

I'm still on a journey discovering my purpose. And while I figure that out, I guess I'll continue being that light which shines to bring hope and glorifies God.


"In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven"
Matthew 5:16 (NIV)

Standing in the midst of the rainforests is being in darkness because of the shade from the trees. Sunlight doesn't reach and fights its way through the leaves of the trees. And that's similar to where we are in this world today.

So, be that light. Shine through the darkness.


Inspired by Gods creation and His word, the tropical rainforests in Cairns, Queensland Australia and music by Switchfoot & Gungor.

~ Gino ~

References:
1. Where The Light Shines Through - Switchfoot
2. Beautiful Things - Gungor Music
3. Cassowary: I didn't snap any pics, only a video! So click the link to read more about this beautiful creature. 
4. Photo credits: Rachel Tan

Comments

  1. You are an inspiration to everyone around you! ❤️ Also I love Gungor too!
    - Rozelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me tear up a bit!
    - Sanjana Paulraj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Gino ��
    - Michelle Alphonsus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent Ginelle. Keep-up the good work!
    - Melwyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn!! Respect
    - Chinthaka Pothupitiya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice
    - Shirley Anandanathan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts